- Designate a special reading area with books for sharing.
- Choose books with repetitive phrases.
- Point to different pictures and identify what you see.
- Encourage your child to "point and say" objects in the pictures.
- Let your child see you reading.
- Encourage your child to select a favorite book to read.
- Ask your child questions about the story.
- Recite or sing nursery rhymes from favorite rhyme collections.
- Keep a good selection of books in your home.
- Let your child read to you and with you.
- Talk about the story and how the pictures are part of the story.
- Stay aware of what your child likes to read.